Ubuntu + LPI question

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sat Apr 8 20:01:51 UTC 2006

Alan McKinnon wrote:
> The Ubuntu exam is pitched at the same level as the Junior cert, and
> it's called Ubuntu 103. To get the certificate you'll have to pass
> both LPI exams (101 and 102) and the Ubuntu 103. But you can write
> these exams in any order you wish.

Ok, this is a good goal to aim at for me. My background is not system
administration (it's mathematics and teaching) but my knowledge level is
roughly at the Junior LPI level. I looked at the sample questions and I
got about 73% right. So getting a Junior cert should require only a
reasonable amount of study.

What score do I need to pass an exam?
What's the title of someone with the Ubuntu cert? "Junior Ubuntu Admin"?

> Support questions on this
> very list give you a good idea of the standard required,

Ok, I'll keep an eye on this list.

> Do keep in mind that it is a sysadmin exam, not a user exam, so the
> focus is on how does the stuff work under the hood.

Yes, I got that. I'm roughly at the Junior sys-admin level right now. I
used to know more, but I haven't really fiddled much in a while.

> Knowing how to
> navigate Synaptic won't help much here (that's a user task), but
> knowing how to debug a faulty sources.list will.

Gotcha :)  Btw, I don't know how to debug sources.list. It never seems
to break really...  I once had problems, but they were fixed by just
pointing to a different server.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--