ppc breezy on ibook

Bry Melvin brymelvin at msn.com
Fri Apr 7 01:58:07 UTC 2006

Visit us at  www.melvinart.com or software.melvinart.com
Support  Open Source software. Break the grip of the monopoly on  your
personal computer.
Sent  from the Melvinart/Melvinland  MelvinGraphics Network.

>From: Larry Grover <lgrover at zoominternet.net>
>To: Ubuntu Help and User Discussions <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>Subject: Re: ppc breezy on ibook
>Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 09:30:34 -0400
>
>Bry Melvin wrote:
>>I'm currently using breezy on an ibook. If I close the cover it never
>>wakes up again. I have been told dapper will fix this with the new kernel.
>snip
>>

>>Bryann
>>

>Which iBook model do you have?  There are two different problems for the G3
>vs G4 models.
>
>If you have a G3 iBook, the problem is caused by a kernel bug, but you can
>fix it in one of two ways:
>(1) there is a work-around which involves a small modification to the power
>management scripts
>(2) for a true fix you need to patch and recompile the breezy kernel, or
>installing a newer kernel
>
>This thread explains how to do both:
>http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2368

snip
>Regards,
>Larry
>
>--
Thank you the work around for G3 is now working here.

I ran into a snag, but in the end it is working.
After using the script method in breezy it still didn't work!
It hung on restarting the airport wireless, which I don't know if it was
working anyway as I have no wireless anywhere near.

I removed the wireless card and lost gnome...at least I thought! Had command
line but desktop was frozen.

I ended up reinstalling, but inadvertently used the hoary install set.
On startup the desktop STILL didn't come up...looking at the errors.I then
realized this was because when removing the wireless card I also killed all
power....and the date reverted to sometime in 1903

fixing the date/time got Gnome up and probably would have the first time.(in
the frozen breezy)

Anyway the script method is working fine with hoary. Hoary is supported
untill after
dapper is to be released So it looks like I'm good for now!

FWIW sound is working better in Hoary!
In Breezy for some reason I had to plug something in the earphone jack and
then unplug it to get sound to start!

Bryann