ppc breezy on ibook

Larry Grover lgrover at zoominternet.net
Thu Apr 6 13:30:34 UTC 2006

Bry Melvin wrote:
> I'm currently using breezy on an ibook. If I close the cover it never
> wakes up again. I have been told dapper will fix this with the new kernel.
>
> live remote with no Highspeed internet. 33.6  dialup is maximum available.
> diist-upgrade took two days and didn't finish when the isp cut me off!
>
> I have reinstalled breezy.
>
> Is there any other way to fix this sleep problem that anyone knows of?
>

> Bryann

Which iBook model do you have?  There are two different problems for the
G3 vs G4 models.

If you have a G3 iBook, the problem is caused by a kernel bug, but you
can fix it in one of two ways:
(1) there is a work-around which involves a small modification to the
power management scripts
(2) for a true fix you need to patch and recompile the breezy kernel, or
installing a newer kernel

This thread explains how to do both:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2368

I believe the sleep problem on G4 iBooks is also kernel related, but it
is a different issue.  The steps described in the ubuntuforums thread
will not fix the problem on G4 iBooks.  There may be a work-around or
patch to fix the sleep problem on G4's, but if so I don't know it.

Regards,
Larry