Dapper clock and locales

Keith Powell keith at keithg4jvx.force9.co.uk
Wed Apr 5 09:57:44 UTC 2006

Julio Biason wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 10:25 +0100, Keith Powell wrote:
>
>> So, as Dapper is on my "experimenting" hard drive, I reinstalled it
>> using English-United States as the installation language, rather than
>> English-United Kingdom. The clock was now using the 12Hour system and
>> 12Hour was an item in the clock's preferences menu. I changed the
>> Time Zone to London and altered the clock to read "our time". It
>> still showed 12Hour. However, I found that the keyboard was set up as
>> an American one rather than a British one. Changed the keyboard
>> layout in the System -> Administration menu, but it didn't change -
>> the keyboard stayed American.
>>

> The keyboard settings affect only the selected application, not the
> whole setup (and this happens on Windows too). There is a small checkbox
> where you can point that the keyboard layout changes affect all
> applications. That should probably solve your problem.
>
> Also, the "Keyboard indicator" applet would show which layout is
> selected for the current window.

In KDE, selecting Configure - Keyboard,  uses that keyboard layout for
everything. I thought it would be the same in Gnome. I will investigate
the keyboard applet. Thanks for telling me about it.

>> Please, developers, give us our 12 hour clock back.  :-(
>>

> Why don't just right click the clock and select "Preferences"?

That's the problem, Julio. There is *no* 12 hour option in the clock's
"Preferences" menu, when Dapper is installed using the English - United
Kingdom language. Only 24 hour, UNIX time and Internet.

Cheers

Keith