Dapper clock and locales

Ron Bellomo cyberbear at plateautel.net
Wed Apr 5 11:02:13 UTC 2006

Keith Powell wrote:
> Julio Biason wrote:
>> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 10:25 +0100, Keith Powell wrote:
>>
>>> So, as Dapper is on my "experimenting" hard drive, I reinstalled it
>>> using English-United States as the installation language, rather
>>> than English-United Kingdom. The clock was now using the 12Hour
>>> system and 12Hour was an item in the clock's preferences menu. I
>>> changed the Time Zone to London and altered the clock to read "our
>>> time". It still showed 12Hour. However, I found that the keyboard
>>> was set up as an American one rather than a British one. Changed the
>>> keyboard layout in the System -> Administration menu, but it didn't
>>> change - the keyboard stayed American.
>>>

>> The keyboard settings affect only the selected application, not the
>> whole setup (and this happens on Windows too). There is a small checkbox
>> where you can point that the keyboard layout changes affect all
>> applications. That should probably solve your problem.
>>
>> Also, the "Keyboard indicator" applet would show which layout is
>> selected for the current window.
>>

> In KDE, selecting Configure - Keyboard,  uses that keyboard layout for
> everything. I thought it would be the same in Gnome. I will
> investigate the keyboard applet. Thanks for telling me about it.
>
>>> Please, developers, give us our 12 hour clock back.  :-(
>>>

>> Why don't just right click the clock and select "Preferences"?
>>

> That's the problem, Julio. There is *no* 12 hour option in the clock's
> "Preferences" menu, when Dapper is installed using the English -
> United Kingdom language. Only 24 hour, UNIX time and Internet.
>
> Cheers
>
> Keith

On my system, I right-clicked the clock. I selected "Adjust Date & Time".
Then I clicked the "Date and Time" tab. In the "Time format" drop down
box, I selected pH:MM:SS AMPM.

Now my clock is in 12 hour mode. For example it shows 5:00 am, and later
on it shows 5:00 pm.

This has fixed the time on 3 Dapper susyems here.

HTH.