GUI backup tools (was Re: Destroying "only" your home directory)

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 08:11:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-04 at 01:53 -0500, Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:

> If I was going to have to spend that much time making backups I would
> consider different hardware or becoming competent at using tar and
> cdrecord so you could automate them, use compression, and limit the
> backups to only those things that need to be backed up.

Wouldn't it be more awesome if "Linux for Human Beings", given how
important everybody here is saying backing up is!, would have a backup
system in place that didn't require the user to learn Mystic
Incantations<tm>?  You know: a backup program that regular human beings
can use with ease instead of cluttering their minds with unintuitive
command line switches like "-j" to compress one way, but "-z" to
compress another way, etc?

> The fact is that for $100 in hardware you can reduce your backup time down
> to around 2 minutes.

The other fact is that hardware isn't really the issue.  It's the
software that sucks.

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM:
michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber:
mtr1966 at jabber.cn

"Thanks to the Court's decision, only clean Indians or colored people
other than Kaffirs, can now travel in the trams." --Mahatma Gandhi