Setting Specific Scan Rate in xorg.conf: Puzzled

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Tue Apr 4 13:54:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 11:48:24PM +0100, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Kent Borg wrote:
> > I have a new LCD panel and
> > but one thing does have me really puzzled: Why can't I set
> > the horizontal and vertical scan rates by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> > and changing "HorizSync" and "VertRefresh"?
>
> LCD panels don't have a refresh rate. Refresh rate only has any meaning
> for CRT displays. Refresh rate is the number of times the electron beam
> goes up and down per second. LCD displays don't us an electron beam.

Of course the LCD itself doesn't work like a CRT, but my (cheap) LCD
has an analog input and that signal acts as though it is talking to a
CRT, on that wire there *is* a scan rate.  My LCD will display that
scan rate when I push the proper button.

> > One of the "factory presets" listed in the manual is 63.89kHz and 60
> > Hz.

Because the analog input still "scans".

> /daniel scratches his head

My problem is that my LCD isn't displaying a stable image, and seeing
as how high scan rates don't help an LCD image, I would like to switch
to a lower scan rate (on the wire, not the display) so the signal will
be easier for the display to synch up with.

Any tips on wrangling xorg.conf so X will do the rates I want would be
appreciated...

Thanks,

-kb