Destroying "only" your home directory (was Re: Newbie question on permissions)

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Apr 3 03:50:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 11:08:04 +0800
"Michael T. Richter" <ttmrichter at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

> If there were a decent backup application available a lot of this could
> be ameliorated.  Sadly, however, the backup software that's out there
> for UNIX and workalikes is about as user hostile as you can get.

Hmm. I use "unison-gtk", and it seems to involve *two* clicks to back up
the directories I've chosen to another machine on the network,
synchronising the directories at the same time. First click - choose the
"profile", second click, click on "Go". That's about it really.... Perhaps
I've left out a third click somewhere that would make it more
"Unix-like" ;-)

Setting up  profiles involves setting a "local" directory
(say, /home/peter ) and another local or remote directory. The transfer is
done over ssh in my case.

There are of course "user hostile" tools for this purpose, but this
doesn't seem to be one of them.

Of course, I'm only talking about a "home network", not a corporation or
organisation, but then, that seems to be what this particular thread is
about anyway...

Peter

--

Linux User #343161