Destroying "only" your home directory (was Re: Newbie question on permissions)

Karl Goetz kamping_kaiser at internode.on.net
Mon Apr 3 06:58:04 UTC 2006

Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 11:08:04 +0800
> "Michael T. Richter" <ttmrichter at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> If there were a decent backup application available a lot of this could
>> be ameliorated.  Sadly, however, the backup software that's out there
>> for UNIX and workalikes is about as user hostile as you can get.
>
> Hmm. I use "unison-gtk", and it seems to involve *two* clicks to back up
> the directories I've chosen to another machine on the network,
> synchronising the directories at the same time. First click - choose the
> "profile", second click, click on "Go". That's about it really.... Perhaps
> I've left out a third click somewhere that would make it more
> "Unix-like" ;-)
>
> Setting up  profiles involves setting a "local" directory
> (say, /home/peter ) and another local or remote directory. The transfer is
> done over ssh in my case.
>
> There are of course "user hostile" tools for this purpose, but this
> doesn't seem to be one of them.
>
> Of course, I'm only talking about a "home network", not a corporation or
> organisation, but then, that seems to be what this particular thread is
> about anyway...
>

> Peter

Because this sounded interesting i installed it, and found (instantly
:/) 2 gotchas -
the package unison-gtk doesnt depend on unison (perhaps because its
needed on the remote host?), and the "port" option is greyed out on ssh
- use (eg) 192.168.99.1:99, where 99 is the port.
hm... LP time...
kk

--
Karl Goetz