Kernel 386 installed instead of 686

Filipe Bonjour fbonjour at urbanet.ch
Thu Sep 29 20:25:17 UTC 2005

Hi,

Breezy is the first version of Ubuntu I installed, and I hate to say, I
love it.

I have tried several other distros before though, and there is something
that I find strange with Breezy: The install program installed
linux-image-2.6.12-8-386 (upgraded to 9-386 since) instead of
linux-image-2.6.12-8-686. It's the first time I see a distro not install
the kernel compiled for a P4. I have a Dell Inspiron 9200 with a Pentium
M 1.7 GHz.

Is this normal? Did I miss an install option?

Also, Is it safe to install the 686 kernel at the same time as the 386?
Checking the file list, it seems all files have the full name, including
"386" in their path.

Thanks,

Fil

--
Filipe Bonjour

      In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
      In practice there is. -- Yogi Berra