that darned ROOT problem

Matan Nassau matan.nassau at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 18:04:14 UTC 2005

On 9/28/05, Bo Grimes <newslists at isp.com> wrote:
> I don't choose to have
> my kids be able to access root.  I wasn't given that choice during
> install or informed that I made such a choice by default.  It won't
> happen again; I can easily fix it, and it's not a big deal.

Bo I think that the snow ball here is getting out of control. I think
that many people on this thread talk about different thing, but I have
the feeling that the thread realy revolves around two points:

1. Is it, or is it not, mentioned during install that the user created
shall have root access upon request (along with an explanation of the
whole sudo concept and reasoning behind using it)? I personally don't
remember but if nobody jumps here I assume you're right.

2. If it is not mentioned and explained, is it OK or is it wrong that
it is not mentioned? I think that you are absolutely right, we're
dealing with a serious matter here and the administrator must be
informed of the priviledges of his user account created during
install.

All that is left now to do is to drop a bug report in Ubuntu's bug
tracking system.

--
MN