Cannot play wmv files in totem xine

R.L. Reingard reingard at hispeed.ch
Wed Sep 28 08:49:55 UTC 2005

> Am 28.09.2005, 09:54 Uhr, schrieb Charles Yao <yaocharlesc at gmail.com>:
> I cant seem to play wmv files in totem-xine. I already installed the w32
> codecs but it still wont play

hi Charles
even on my machine some wmv files create trouble, like strange sound
behaviour. but some they play also nicely in TOTEM-xine. i guess there are
some different standards (versions) possible for wmv files.
did you followed all that work mentioned in this link below, regarding
Codecs and DVD-Video ?
regards, René

https://wiki.ubuntu.com//RestrictedFormats

Codecs and DVD-Video
___________________

Some codecs and encrypted DVD playback functionallity is not distributed
with Ubuntu for legal reasons. After reading and considering the disclamer
and legal notice above, you may enter the following to install and enable
the functionallity:

$ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

When Gedit appears, enter the following line, then save and close gedit:

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ etch main

Next update and install packages, this will also add other misc
codecs/plugins:

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install w32codecs

$ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Those using Kubuntu can also install akode-mpeg to enable MP3 playback,
and replace gedit with kate.

When gedit appears again, remove the line you added eailer to avoid
causing problems with your Ubuntu installation. After doing that, finally:

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install totem-xine gstreamer0.8-misc gstreamer0.8-plugins
gstreamer0.8-plugins-multiverse

$ sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.8-mad gstreamer0.8-ffmpeg libmad0
msttcorefonts libdvdread3

$ sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh

$ gst-register-0.8