Three Hoary Issues

Bo Grimes newslists at isp.com
Wed Sep 28 02:37:11 UTC 2005

I want to like Ubuntu, but as with Warthog, I've had to remove the install.

1) When installing the bootloader it showed me both my Windows partition
and my Mepis partition.  It showed Mephis as Debian 3.1 on hdb3, which
is right.  However, when I rebooted and Grub came up it listed Ubuntu,
Windows and Memtest (hdb3).  Clicking on memtest ran a memtest.

2) I booted into Ubuntu and decided to check out hdb3.  Couldn't because
I didn't have root rights.  I tried su.  Couldn't Google because...

3) Hoary still assumes one is connecting to the internet with a network,
I guess, because it still ships with wvdial and assumes you can set it
up.  I did so with Warty, but Hoary says no /dev/modem.  The exact same
modem that worked with Warthog last Spring.  This was one mf my main
issues with Warty.  If I hadn't known of wvdial, just because I'd heard
of it for years though never used it, I'd have never gotten connected.

I found the answer to 2 on Google under Windows.  It's a shame when one
has to use the kids' Windows install to fix a Linux problem.  One has to
use sudo, but no where did I find this in the Ubuntu help files, and
it's brain dead to assume one will know it or figure out that it's sudo
+ password of user set during install.

Every single other Linux distro I have installed in the last 6 years has
had one set a root password.  I don't remember about Warty, but if it's
the same as Hoary, I must have forgotten.

Still couldn't resolve the hdb3 issue, and Mepis is my main distro, and
I wasn't prepared to just give it up.  So I tried Xandros 3, and it
found Mepis and worked fine.  It's just slow and crippled and too much
like Windows and KDE based and I'm a Gnome guy.

I didn't bother trying to figure out the modem issue because it
shouldn't be an issue anymore, not with a true hardware modem that no
other Linux distro has ever had a problem with.

I like the philosophy of Ubuntu, and I want a Debian/Gnome distro using
the 2.6 kernel and Gnome 2.10.  I want to solve these problems.  If
someone has some ideas I'd be glad to try again, better prepared.

TIA