that darned ROOT problem

David david at kenpro.com.au
Wed Sep 28 07:17:36 UTC 2005

> 2) I booted into Ubuntu and decided to check out hdb3.  Couldn't because
> I didn't have root rights.  I tried su.  Couldn't Google because...

This subject comes up nearly everytime some old geek uses Ubuntu for the
first time. With due respect to Ubuntu newbs, I'm sick of seeing the noise
on the list.

I believe that the Ubuntu team are right to not activate root, but it's
such a perennial problem that I really wonder whether they shouldn't
consider putting a CLEAR message about it in the install process. Surely
it couldn't be all that difficult, and it would save a lot of
unnecessary grief and noise.

David.