342 updates on new Breezy

Ben Novack bhn3 at pitt.edu
Mon Sep 26 15:32:20 UTC 2005

On 9/26/05, Albert <albertwagner at cox.net> wrote:
> As a new user of Ubuntu, I am still trying to understand what's
> going on.  Immediately upon installing 5.10, I was notified of
> 342 updates pending.  I waited until this morning to install
> them.  It appeared to me that everything from the kernel to
> fonts, was updated.  I don't understand how so many packages
> could require updating on a new install.  Would someone please
> explain, or point me to appropriate docs?

It's because Breezy (5.10) isn't done yet; while some mostly-stable
releases of it (the Colony discs and the Prerelease) have been
provided, it's still very much a work in progress. In a couple of
weeks it will become stable, actually be released, and the massive
wave of updates will stop. The current stable release is 5.04; if
you'd installed that, all you'd have to update would have been a
handful of security updates.

---Ben