[breezy] No /dev/ttyUSB* is being created

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Sep 26 14:55:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 10:22:32AM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> >   mknod /dev/ttyUSB1 c 188 1
> >   chmod 0666 /dev/ttyUSB1
>
> Bad idea.  The ttyUSB* devices are created when you hotplug the device - I'm
> not sure that this won't just make the pilot use higher tty numbers.

It won't.

> Do:
>  sudo modprobe visor
>
> If that doesn't work, you can't use a USB palm device (until you install the
> module).  If you get no errors from that, _then_ try syncing the palm
> (specifying /dev/ttyUSB1 as the sync device).  If it works after manually
> modprobing, then you have a hotplug problem.

And if it doesn't work after manually modprobing, but works when you
mknod, then you have a udev problem.

> > Although I have only a vague idea what the command mknod precisely does,
> > it made ttyUSB1. But syncing the palm with gnome-pilot (pointed
> > to /dev/ttyUSB1) still doesn't work.
>
> afaik, the palm will normally use both /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1, though
> the data transfer only happens on ...USB1.  ...USB0 is some kind of
> signalling device.

This differs.  I have an m500 and a Tungsten T1.  One of them uses
ttyUSB0 for syncing, the other uses ttyUSB1.  A coworkers Tungsten T3
uses a different port than my T1 does, but the same as my m500 does.
*shrug*

Marius Gedminas
--
If nothing else helps, read the documentation.