Modem setup, minicom in install-cd package pool?

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Sat Sep 24 23:44:37 UTC 2005

I was attempting to get dial-up Internet working after a fresh install
of Breezy preview, and found that 'minicom' is not one of the packages
on the install CD.  I think it belongs there, unless there is some other
tool I should use for that?  The pppd debug logs in /var/log/syslog are
helpful, but there are times when having a terminal emulator is useful.

For that matter, using a terminal emulator to help set up a modem
connection really is not a "beginner" method.  There really ought to be
a nicer way of doing it.  pppconfig works fairly well, but I've never
been able to get the gnome-setup-tools modem configuration tool to work
right.  It has never gotten me an Internet connection.  Do other people
have better luck with that, and with the gnome-panel modem monitor
applet?

--
Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom at pdx.edu>