Ubuntu, Windows and my Linksys BEFSR81 Router

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 24 06:56:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 07:39:49PM -0600, Hodgins Family wrote:
> Under Ubuntu life is different. If the Ubuntu computers are started up
> their names DO NOT show up in the DHCP table of the router but the IP
> addresses and MAC addresses do.

This is due to http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=151820

Windows systems send their hostname to the DHCP server by default, while the
DHCP implementation used in Ubuntu does not.

If your router provides dynamic DNS based on these names, you can fix things
by configuring the Ubuntu systems to send a hostname to the DHCP server.

--
 - mdz