Aptitude problem

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Sep 23 17:46:20 UTC 2005

aysiu wrote:

> Open up Synaptic.
>
> Reload.
>
> Mark all upgrades.
>
> Click on "custom" (bottom-left of the screen)
>
> Then click on "Marked changes."
>
> Unmark the ones you want to unmark.

Duh.  That's not the question.

I don't use synaptic, and I'm never likely to use synaptic

I didn't even have a problem with the list of packages - all (or at least
most) of those packages are supposed to be removed because they were
auto-installed as dependencies of xorg-driver-synaptic which now only
depends on xorg-server-core instead of xorg-server.

However, an "apt-get upgrade" would _never_ remove any packages, and aiui
aptitude is supposed to behave the same way.  So why did aptitude try to
remove them on an upgrade?
--
derek