breezy - wow!

Ramsey, Robert L robert-ramsey at uiowa.edu
Fri Sep 23 11:47:08 UTC 2005

Just wanted to say great job on breezy.  I upgraded to the beta version a week or so ago and it's been rock solid.  I really like being able to see the changes as it heads towards the final release.

What really impressed me though was the faster boot time.  Yesterday's updates cut at least a minute off my boot time.

I've got a realtek wireless card and I use ndiswrapper and windows' drivers to get the card to work.  There used to be about a minute delay during the boot process as the hotplug subsystem and ndiswrapper detected and started the card.  That is now completely gone.  The hotplug/ndiswrapper part of the boot just whizzes by.

And after installing the net_applet to manage wireless and network connections, that's been easier as well.

Yeah, I know that the Ubuntu/kubuntu managers didn't write the kernel improvements or ndiswrapper, but they put it all together in a great package.  So I thought they deserved a little thanks.

Bob