wifi woes

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 03:07:54 UTC 2005

On 9/22/05, Ian Baber <ian at eugeneweb.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to get a 12" ibook g4 working on wireless networks with
> ubuntu?  I've tried a asus wl-167g usb adapter, but I've had a horrible time
> with the drivers I've tried and I can't make it work.

I bug 'em on IRC about this all the time. :o) The most common answer
for wifi on PPC is a Netgear MA111. There are a few different
versions, which you won't know until you open the box and look at the
device, but they should all be based on the Prism chipset which has
pretty good support. In all my begging for suggestions, nobody has
been able to recommend an 802.11g solution for PPC, so I think you're
stuck with 802.11b.

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MA111.php

Unfortunately that's about all I'll be able to tell you, as I decided
that I'd just keep Ubuntu on my Toshiba laptop (where wifi works) and
only use it on my iBook for testing dev releases when I have access to
an ethernet cable.

Hope that helps!

--
Aaron