Resize XP partition for more Ubuntu space

Charles Malespin charles.malespin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 15:00:19 UTC 2005

> > Ok, I installed the ntfsprogs package and was able to take the 60 Gb off
> > the windows partition.  Now I have this
> > /dev/sda1     Fat16       63 Mb
> > /dev/sda2     Ntfs	  20.5 Gb
> > Unallocated               65.5 Gb
> > /dev/sda3     ext3        102 Mb
> > /dev/sda4     extended    67 Gb
> >   /dev/sda5   ext 3       64 Gb
> >   /dev/sda6   swap        2.5 Gb
> >
> > But I cant resize my extended partition so that I can use the free space
> > that I just made.... Am I missing another package, or what?  It tells me
> > in Gparted that the status of my /dev/sda4 is busy(at least one logical
> > partition is mounted).  Any help?
> >

> You are
>
> Between a rock and a hard place...
>
> You need to delete sda5 and sda6 and sda4..
>
> sda4 is your primary partition of type extended..
>
> so sda5 and sda6 are on sda4..
>
> I would at this point reinstall ubuntu...
>
> Save all your config files on sda2...
>
> good luck
>
> I will refrain from giving further partitioning advice..
>
> such as separate /var /home /usr etc..

WHoa Whoa!  Reinstall????  There has to be another option, I didnt even
do anything to my ubuntu partition, why would i need to reinstall?
Perhaps I need to clarify the situation as to what I have done.  I just
cut 50 Gb out of my Windows NTFS partition, and now it is free space.  I
have 4 partitions already and now this free space.  Is there any way
that i can resize my extended partition to include this new free space.
I find it hard to believe that I have to reinstall to do this.  Would
going into windows and doing it with partition magic work?  Would I lose
my data in ubunutu in the process? Plus what is my /dev/sda3 ext3
102 Mb  partition?  Is that my root? Please help, I was told this should
be so hard to do!