Resize XP partition for more Ubuntu space

Vram lamsokvr at xprt.net
Wed Sep 21 00:39:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 17:39 -0500, Charles Malespin wrote:

> > > Ok, I did that and when I try to click on the partition in Gparted or
> > > qtparted it says that it cant read that partition and wont let me resize
> > > it...  Did I do something wrong or is there something I forgot to do?
> >
> > The package qtparted recommends the package ntfsprogs. Do you have that
> > package installed? If not, that's probably what you need.
>
> Ok, I installed the ntfsprogs package and was able to take the 60 Gb off
> the windows partition.  Now I have this
> /dev/sda1     Fat16       63 Mb
> /dev/sda2     Ntfs	  20.5 Gb
> Unallocated               65.5 Gb
> /dev/sda3     ext3        102 Mb
> /dev/sda4     extended    67 Gb
>   /dev/sda5   ext 3       64 Gb
>   /dev/sda6   swap        2.5 Gb
>
> But I cant resize my extended partition so that I can use the free space
> that I just made.... Am I missing another package, or what?  It tells me
> in Gparted that the status of my /dev/sda4 is busy(at least one logical
> partition is mounted).  Any help?

You are

Between a rock and a hard place...

You need to delete sda5 and sda6 and sda4..

sda4 is your primary partition of type extended..

so sda5 and sda6 are on sda4..

I would at this point reinstall ubuntu...

Save all your config files on sda2...

good luck

I will refrain from giving further partitioning advice..

such as separate /var /home /usr etc..

HTH

Vram