Resize XP partition for more Ubuntu space

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Sep 20 06:51:55 UTC 2005

Charles,

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 23:53 -0500, Charles Malespin wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 20:07 -0700, Vram wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 22:01 -0400, Emerzen wrote:
> > > 1.) Defrag your Windows partition before doing any resizing.
> > >

> > > 2.) Grab qtparted or gparted via synaptic (or partition magic for fee)
> > > and resize.  Keep in mind that you can only have a total of four
> > > partitions on any one disc, however Linux can use LVM to form
> > > quasi-partitions.  Since you are only resizing this shouldn't be a
> > > problem.  However, it you're going to create any new partitions, keep
> > > the total number in mind.
> > >

> So just to make sure, I can resize my windows partition while running
> gparted in ubuntu?  I dont need to be running it via knoppix or some
> live CD?  And should I back up things just in case, or is this fairly
> easy and safe...?  And on that topic, is it enough to just do
> $sudo tar -czvf /home/malespin.tar.gz * and copy my home into a tar file
> that I burn onto a cd?  i havent backed up before and I dont have any
> other options besides burning CDs(no floppy etc).  Thanks for all the
> help so far,

Well, I've done this recently. I chose to boot knoppix and use qtparted
to do the resizing, but I wanted to move and resize some of my Linux
partitions too, so it made senses. I also defragged the XP partition
before resizing it. I'm not sure if this is absolutely necessary or just
reduces the time to resize or the risk of it screwing up.

It worked like a charm though!

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold