HELP Xserver cannot start

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Sep 19 17:12:20 UTC 2005

Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> On Mo, 2005-09-19 at 12:17 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> e.g., my ALPS touchpad works best when configured using a file in the
>> READMEs.  Somebody obviously knows it needs to be done, but they haven't
>> autoconfigured it yet.
> do you have the bug number for that ?
>>
>> e.g., my Dell widescreen laptop _natively_ runs 1280x800 pixels.  xorg
>> simply wouldn't offer it as a configuration option - which was known long
>> ago. I believe that was fixed September 8.
> i wouldnt expect and wouldnt suggest to any "average non-geek" to run a
> unstable version of a OS as well as i would expect testers to read the
> warnings in the config files they modify and to file bugs if something
> is wrong, so the people working on a package can fix it for the
> "non-geek" users that will use the OS later when its released to prevent
> them from having to touch config files.
>
>> It doesn't matter if you can file a bug, it'll take - at best - weeks for
>> fix.  Meanwhile, you either fix it yourself, or wait with a poorly
>> configured X server.

> thats the nature of a beta release, the above applies here as well.
> please file bugs.

Beta?  The xorg configuration problem existed in Hoary (at least).

I _always_ file bugs.  I have yet to see any of the ones filed to ubuntu
become recognized.  Perhaps it's time to file a bug report on reportbug,
since it clearly doesn't feed the ubuntu bugzilla.

In any case, filing bugs doesn't remove the need to modify xorg.conf and it
is completely irrespective of "beta" software.
--
derek