HELP Xserver cannot start

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 19 15:55:32 UTC 2005

hi,
On Mo, 2005-09-19 at 12:17 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> e.g., my ALPS touchpad works best when configured using a file in the
> READMEs.  Somebody obviously knows it needs to be done, but they haven't
> autoconfigured it yet.
do you have the bug number for that ?

> e.g., my Dell widescreen laptop _natively_ runs 1280x800 pixels.  xorg
> simply wouldn't offer it as a configuration option - which was known long
> ago. I believe that was fixed September 8.
i wouldnt expect and wouldnt suggest to any "average non-geek" to run a
unstable version of a OS as well as i would expect testers to read the
warnings in the config files they modify and to file bugs if something
is wrong, so the people working on a package can fix it for the
"non-geek" users that will use the OS later when its released to prevent
them from having to touch config files.

> It doesn't matter if you can file a bug, it'll take - at best - weeks for a
> fix.  Meanwhile, you either fix it yourself, or wait with a poorly
> configured X server.
thats the nature of a beta release, the above applies here as well.
please file bugs.

ciao
	oli