does ubuntu come with this software?

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 16:50:51 UTC 2005

First of all, its kind of hard to answer the question, "What does
Ubuntu come with", because there is so much software available in the
repositories.  The complete install is only a subset of that since
it's only one disc (as compared to Fedora's ridiculous four).  However
anything available to Ubuntu is only a few keystrokes away (or mouse
clicks) using apt.  I find rather than asking "What software is
available" I ask "Is there a program that does this" and there usually
are multiple options available.

As far packages that are available to debian, I believe literally
every debian package gets imported into one of the several ubuntu
repositories during the development of each release.  In addition to
ubuntu's main repositories there are a couple of other official
repositories called Universe and Multiverse.  Between all the official
repositories, any package available to debian should also be available
to Ubuntu.  Also there are a variety of 3rd party repositories as well
to expand the selection even more.

Software installation using a package system like in Ubuntu is fairly
different from the way windows does it, and takes a little getting
used to.  However after trying it a couple of times, you'll find it's
very elegent.  Since it keeps track of everything such as where files
are installed to, and other packages that a package is dependent on,
installing an uninstalling is very clean and graceful.

A good place to get comfortable installing packages is the unofficial
Ubuntu guide, ubuntuguide.org.  The guide has been offline today, but
hopefully it will be back online soon.  It walks you through
installing packages to do a variety of things beyond what is included
in the default install.  You'll see how easy it really is.

The Apt tools are used at the command line, but the graphical
equivalent is synaptic.  I suggest you use apt-get a few times though.
 It's an easy confidence builder for the new user!  The guide will
introduce these concepts to you.

The upcoming release of Ubuntu, version 5.10, includes a new tool
called "add/remove programs" (I think) that simplifies adding and
removing a lot of common programs.  It's actually really nice.

Hope this helps.

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=18267488