on KDE

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Mon Sep 19 15:07:03 UTC 2005

On Monday 19 September 2005 15:03, Derek Broughton wrote:
> kubuntu-desktop is a metapackage that installs everything Ubuntu thinks is
> necessary for a KDE based desktop.  It's hard to see whether it's a
> superset of "kde" because, for some reason, the kubuntu folks didn't see
> fit to depend on the kde metapackages - its dependencies are all at a very
> low level

That's probably a good indication that it's not a superset.

> imo, kubuntu-desktop is _definitely_ overkill.  I ended up removing all of
> the asian TTF fonts

That's important, if you want m17n, as I think a modern desktop should have.
Also, I think it's good to err on the side of caution regarding language
support etc.  But yes, it's a matter of personal preference what you
eventually decide to keep, and the ability to deselect kubuntu-desktop and
leave the packages you *do* want is a good feature, I think.

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com