dialup in ubuntu

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 18 21:58:14 UTC 2005

Bry Melvin wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 03:09, Mehdi H. wrote:
>
>>What is your Modem ? Are you using free drivers from linuxant.com ?
>>

>>On 9/16/05, Wes Kurdziolek <wkurdziolek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>        Is this the first time you've used dial-up under Linux, or
>>        have
>>        previous distributions you've used always reported 33.6?
>>
>>        On 9/15/05, Bry Melvin <brymelvin at melvinart.com> wrote:
>>        > I am new to ubuntu and just installed and connected it to
>>        the internet:
>>        >
>>        > I connected to dialup (limited to 33.6 v42 here in this
>>        extremely rural
>>        > area)
>>        >
>>        > However the applet is only connecting at 14400.
>>        >
>>        > I then configured an ran wvdial manually in a root terminal
>>        and that
>>        > connects at the expected 33.6, but the applet still will
>>        only give me a
>>        > 14400 connection...
>>        >
>>        > Does anyone know what I am missing?
>>        >
>>        > Bryann
>>        >

> Thanks for the responses:
>
> 1. No I'm not using a "driver"....it's a standard external 56k modem v90
> although v90 capability is unavailable here... only v42 ...too far from
> digital switching.    Shouldn't need a "driver"
>
> 2. I get 33.6 on Fedora Suse OS/2 eCS and even windows although I
> haven't used that recently. I'm writing this on a Fedora Core machine
> connected to the same modem running at 33.6
>
> I also get 33.6 on the Ubuntu machine...IF I start wvdial from a root
> terminal..
>
> What connects at 14400 is from the Gnome panel modem applet.
>
> I can't find any documentation concerning WHERE this gets it's script.
>
> I have used a shotgun approach and cut and pasted ATZ AND the Modem
> configuration from etc/wvdial.conf to several places that LOOK like  it
> might help (chatscript peers and so on) but to no avail. The applet
> ALWAYS connects at 14400 and I haven't been able to FIND the applet and
> make it run in a terminal verbosely to see what it is doing. SOMEWHERE
> it must be picking up a configuration from other than wvdial.conf
> despite the fact that it is probably using wvdial to dial.
>
> I find NO modem configuration areas in the GUI where there is an option
> to add "extras"...
>

> The Help pages are lacking...haven't found anything in the manpages
> either that gives me a hint where to alter configuration files that the
> applet uses.
>
> Bryann

Bryann:
In the two months that I've been using Ubuntu, there have been several
threads on this list about dialup problems and no one has ever mentioned
using kppp. Back in my dialup days, I always used kppp. Yeah, I know
it's a KDE app, but it does run under Gnome, and I don't ever recall any
problems with it other than the standard PEBKAC stuff. FWIW, when I
first tried Linux using RedHat 5.0, the standard advice on the RedHat
lists and forums was to use kppp even though RedHat's default then -- as
now -- was Gnome over KDE.

Warning: I haven't set up a dialup connection on this box, so there may
be all sorts of problems with kppp and Ubuntu of which I'm not aware,
but I gotta ask the question.

-- cmg