Breezy amd64

Peter Lieverdink ubuntu at cafuego.net
Sat Sep 17 23:51:47 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 18:15 -0400, Andy Choens wrote:
> Wow.  I really like Ubuntu, so this had all better be worth the
> trouble!  :-)  This hasn't been the easiest set-up in history.  I've
> read a bunch on the internet and read past posts here, but I've got a
> few unresolved niggles.  If anyone knows anything about any of these,
> feel free to tell me / everyone else know since many of these won't be
> specific to just my system.
>
> SETUP
> HP Pavilion zv6000.  It's an AMD64 machine.  512 ram, dreaded ATI
> Radeon Xpress 200M, Broadcom Wireless, etc.
>

> XSERVER
> It boots, it even looks OK, but if I do something boring like
> ctrl-alt-F2, my screen goes all screwy.  TIP:  I have figured out that
> sometimes returning to tty7 and making it think I closed the monitor
> for a few seconds fixes the problem...but that's one hell of a "hack"
> workaround...and I still can't use my over ttys.  If I start
> totem....I kill X completely.  Ditto with Xine.  Mplayer seems
> alright.  I think my computer is trying really hard to have a splash
> screen, but I haven't seen it.  I actually, don't see anything when it
> boots until it gets to GDM.  There's a whole lot of black in between
> GRUB and GDM.
>
> To log in from GDM I have to include Option    "NpAccel" in my
> xrg.conf in the video card section.
>
> I instaled the fglrx stuff I found in synaptic, but it doesn't include
> my video card, so I may go download the latest and greatest and see if
> that breaks m system.  But, ATI warns about having the 32-bit libs for
> several things like mesa installed (Yes, on a 64 bit system) and they
> don't seem to exist.  Do I have to go do the chroot deal in order to
> use these?  It's quite a waste of hard-drive space....and time/effort.

> If anyone has any wisdom, I'm all about some advice.

Based on hearing from others, the only advice I can give you there
involves purchasing an nvidia card.

> JAVA
>
> Yep, it works...sorta. I can run a program...but I can't get
> OpenOffice.org to recognize it.
>
> I've searched the web and ave found nothing on this.  Obviously, OOo
> was installed before java was on my machine.  But, I've installed the
> deb and tried to set OOo up to use Java.  When I go to the tools, to
> set it, OOo looks for an installed java, and even asks it for its
> classpath.  My computer slows to a crawl for  15 - 20 seconds (with
> java running and consuming an immense amount of resources) and then
> OOo comes back and has found no installed jre.  But, I KNOW there's a
> jre on the computer, and top proves that OOo is running the &^%$#
> thing.  And to make it all the more fun....I need to use Base..so I
> need to figure this out.
>
> I have the default Blackdown Java deb that I found in synaptic.  Java
> doesn't seem to have a 64 bit version.

There is. Go to this wiki page, it contains instructions on how to
convert the jre1.5 64bit .bin to .deb, which you can then install.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JavaPackageBuildNewVersions

I have it, but OO.o2 still whines. Then again, breezy isn't stable yet.

> APT
> At some point I hope they stabiliz the packages.  For instance.  I
> can't install VLC or K-3d because of dependency issues (wrong versions
> in the repositories of necessary libs).  But, if anyone wants an amd64
> deb of libdvdcss, I'll email it you.  I think it's working.  It's hard
> to tell with X and Totem not liking each other, but it didn't do
> anything weird in the compilation/installation.

the 'libdvdread3' package
contains /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh, which you
can run to create a libdvdcss2 and libdvdcss2-dev package.

> Any advice, sympatheti shoulders, etc are much appreciated.  This has
> been quite the bear.
>
> --andy

Re your beagle issue, "Global Access to Beagle WebServices is currently
DISABLED." means it's running its web services for (localhost), but just
not allowing access to them.

I'm stumped as to why you'd get this error. Mine runs absolutely fine,
and has been doing so for months now. (Version 0.0.13.4-0ubuntu1).

- P.