dialup in ubuntu

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sat Sep 17 07:14:16 UTC 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:58:01 -0700
Bry Melvin <brymelvin at melvinart.com> wrote:

<snipped>

> Thanks for the responses:
>
> 1. No I'm not using a "driver"....it's a standard external 56k modem v90
> although v90 capability is unavailable here... only v42 ...too far from
> digital switching.    Shouldn't need a "driver"
>
> 2. I get 33.6 on Fedora Suse OS/2 eCS and even windows although I
> haven't used that recently. I'm writing this on a Fedora Core machine
> connected to the same modem running at 33.6
>
> I also get 33.6 on the Ubuntu machine...IF I start wvdial from a root
> terminal..
>
> What connects at 14400 is from the Gnome panel modem applet.
>
> I can't find any documentation concerning WHERE this gets it's script.
>
> I have used a shotgun approach and cut and pasted ATZ AND the Modem
> configuration from etc/wvdial.conf to several places that LOOK like  it
> might help (chatscript peers and so on) but to no avail. The applet
> ALWAYS connects at 14400 and I haven't been able to FIND the applet and
> make it run in a terminal verbosely to see what it is doing. SOMEWHERE
> it must be picking up a configuration from other than wvdial.conf
> despite the fact that it is probably using wvdial to dial.
>
> I find NO modem configuration areas in the GUI where there is an option
> to add "extras"...
>

> The Help pages are lacking...haven't found anything in the manpages
> either that gives me a hint where to alter configuration files that the
> applet uses.
>
> Bryann

I had a similar experience when I first installed Hoary (5.04). Using the GUI dialup config resulted in *extremely* slow connections. My reaction was to reconfigure dialup using

sudo pppconfig

which has always worked for me in Debian and Ubuntu. After doing it this way my connection went back to normal (in my case a nominal 56k).

I don't have the knowledge to work out *why* this worked for me, but I offer it as a possible method to try. To dial using "pon" and "poff", check that  your user is in the "dialout" and "dip" groups.

Peter

--

Linux User #343161