dialup in ubuntu

Bry Melvin brymelvin at melvinart.com
Fri Sep 16 22:58:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 03:09, Mehdi H. wrote:
> What is your Modem ? Are you using free drivers from linuxant.com ?
>

> On 9/16/05, Wes Kurdziolek <wkurdziolek at gmail.com> wrote:
>         Is this the first time you've used dial-up under Linux, or
>         have
>         previous distributions you've used always reported 33.6?
>
>         On 9/15/05, Bry Melvin <brymelvin at melvinart.com> wrote:
>         > I am new to ubuntu and just installed and connected it to
>         the internet:
>         >
>         > I connected to dialup (limited to 33.6 v42 here in this
>         extremely rural
>         > area)
>         >
>         > However the applet is only connecting at 14400.
>         >
>         > I then configured an ran wvdial manually in a root terminal
>         and that
>         > connects at the expected 33.6, but the applet still will
>         only give me a
>         > 14400 connection...
>         >
>         > Does anyone know what I am missing?
>         >
>         > Bryann
>         >
Thanks for the responses:

1. No I'm not using a "driver"....it's a standard external 56k modem v90
although v90 capability is unavailable here... only v42 ...too far from
digital switching.    Shouldn't need a "driver"

2. I get 33.6 on Fedora Suse OS/2 eCS and even windows although I
haven't used that recently. I'm writing this on a Fedora Core machine
connected to the same modem running at 33.6

I also get 33.6 on the Ubuntu machine...IF I start wvdial from a root
terminal..

What connects at 14400 is from the Gnome panel modem applet.

I can't find any documentation concerning WHERE this gets it's script.

I have used a shotgun approach and cut and pasted ATZ AND the Modem
configuration from etc/wvdial.conf to several places that LOOK like  it
might help (chatscript peers and so on) but to no avail. The applet
ALWAYS connects at 14400 and I haven't been able to FIND the applet and
make it run in a terminal verbosely to see what it is doing. SOMEWHERE
it must be picking up a configuration from other than wvdial.conf
despite the fact that it is probably using wvdial to dial.

I find NO modem configuration areas in the GUI where there is an option
to add "extras"...

The Help pages are lacking...haven't found anything in the manpages
either that gives me a hint where to alter configuration files that the
applet uses.

Bryann