HELP Xserver cannot start

wgscott ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Sep 16 19:43:24 UTC 2005

Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu) Wrote:
> alves5 at cantv.net wrote:
> > Now when I boot it shows a blue (!) screen with a gray box that says:
> "I
> > cannot start the X server (your graphical interface). [...] Would you
>
> > like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?"
> > No matter what I answer, it freezes there.
> >
> Do you use the nvidia graphics driver (this one from nvidid) and did a
> security update lately?
>
> I had excatly the same problem and solved it with reinstalling the
> nvidia graphics driver.
>
> Regards, Thomas
>

> --
> http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Thanks for posting this advice.  I too had the same problem.  I think
the key step was

md5sum /etc/X11/xorg.conf | sudo tee /var/lib/xfree86/xorg.conf.md5sum

I did the reinstall, and was prompted for this afterwords.  That should
have been run automatically as part of the security update, IMHO.  I
think the average non-geek would have been up the creek.

--
wgscott