Fwd: Ntloader missing and can't get dsl working in Ubuntu

Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu) ubuntu at kaiser-linux.li
Fri Sep 16 16:28:28 UTC 2005

Richard Querin wrote:
> It appears from my reading that the Autchk message is generated when the
> ntfs partition is hidden. Supposedly I can use the 'unhide' command in
> grub to unhide the ntfs paritition, but I'm not sure if making it
> 'unhidden' is the same as making it 'active'. Any ideas?

No, hidden and active are not the same thing. If the hidden bit is set,
I don't think windows will boot. So, you have to set it active and
unhide, but then it will boot directlly into windoz. This are the tweaks
if you don't use grub in the MBR.

Anyway, you could unhide and have the NTFS partition NOT active
==>> Grub should come up

Use the command "makeactive" in the section for the NTFS partition and
grub will set the active flag before it starts to boot this partition
==>> Windoz boots, hopefuly :-)

But next time you reboot it will go again straight to windoz, because
the NTFS partition is now the 1. active partition :-(. Dealing with this
kind of boot setup is not easy.

So, I would recomend to unhide and set active the NTFS partition and
check if you can straight boot to windoz. If so, install grub in the mbr
and you schould be fine.

The MBR is the first code which will be executed and grub will always
come up. So, now we have the menu from a smart bootloader and we don't
have to care about active partitions anymore. If you tell grub your
linux kernel is on sda(0,5)/boot/vmlinuz, it will boot it even if the
partition is not active. Same for the NTFS partition, if you tell grub
to boot sda(0,0) it will boot.

Hope this helps, Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li