Ntloader missing and can't get dsl working in Ubuntu

Richard Querin rfquerin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 16:03:09 UTC 2005

On 9/16/05, Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu) <ubuntu at kaiser-linux.li> wrote:

> The BIOS will hand over execution of code to the MBR of the boot device.
> If the MBR is a windoz based MBR, it will look for a active primary
> partition and hand over the execution to the code in the boot record of
> the active partition. In your case it looks like this is grub in the
> /boot partition.
>
> At one point I *did* set the xp partition as active (by using the ubuntu
installer and then aborting after the paritioner phase). The result was that
grub was no longer given any control and it *appeared* that Xp was going to
boot directly, however it then generated a "autochk program not found -
skipping Autocheck" and kept automatically rebooting the machine. The only
way to stop this behaviour was to make the /boot partition active which
again generates the ntloader missing message upon trying to boot Xp.

It appears from my reading that the Autchk message is generated when the
ntfs partition is hidden. Supposedly I can use the 'unhide' command in grub
to unhide the ntfs paritition, but I'm not sure if making it 'unhidden' is
the same as making it 'active'. Any ideas?