Breezy installation question

R Kimber rkimber at ntlworld.com
Fri Sep 16 08:36:16 UTC 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 03:07:53 +0300 (EEST)
Ari Torhamo <ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi> wrote:

> > As mentioned on previous occasions when this question has come up,
> > the reason this doesn't work is not because the code isn't there,
> > but because there isn't space on the CD for multiple kernels (and
> > if we could scavenge that space, it would be better used for other
> > things like additional language support).
>
> What about in the future making the installation start with a single
> processor kernel and if multiple processors are detected (and
> download software from the internet is selected (or something)), smp
> kernel would be installed? (There's a great risk that this is a
> stoopid idea, as I don't understand the technical details involved in
> this matter).

Yes, I thought about that too. The download/install could take place
after the CD has been removed and when the main stuff is being loaded.
Perhaps.  Like you I don't know if that presents technical problems.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/