Lightweight terminal emulator?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Sep 15 14:57:10 UTC 2005

On 2005-09-15, Lee Braiden <lee_b at digitalunleashed.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 15 September 2005 15:14, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> When I switched to rxvt I was running Linux on a 25 MHz 486
>> with 8MB of RAM, and on a 20MHz 68020 with 4MB of RAM.  Which
>> is probably why the thought of a terminal emulator that uses
>> 38MB of RAM is shocking to me.
>
> Memory usage is deceptive sometimes.  Programs like X are
> shown as using lo= ts=20 of memory, when actually they're just
> using shared libraries that other app= s=20 are using equally.
> I agree that it would be pretty bad for a terminal=20 emulator
> to use 38 megs, but I doubt that's actually the case.  Heh.. I
> cou= ld=20 be wrong, though ;)

If I were using other Gnome programs that were sharing those
libraries, it wouldn't be so bad.  But since I don't use gnome,
quite a few of of those shared libraries aren't really being
shared (XFCE uses GTK, so those would be shared).  Gnome
terminal even has to start a second pty-helper process.  38MB
and two processes!

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Let's send the
                                  at               Russians defective