Excellent HW compatibility w/ 5.10

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Sep 15 04:54:14 UTC 2005

In case people were getting tired of reading my whinging about
fonts and how I screwed up my first install attempt, I just
wanted to report that the HW detection and support in 5.10 has
been excellent.

So far I've found 4 hardware compatibility issues where
Mandrake 10.1 fell down but 5.10 has worked flawlessly:

 1) SMC 802.11 adapter (Carbus).  The standard Mandrake 10.1
    kernel didn't support it. Ubuntu 5.10 recognized it without
    problem.

 2) Mandrake 10.1 alsa sound stuff never worked quite right.
    Sound mostly worked, but on startup the Alsa subsystem
    usually reported an error, and on shutdown usually locked
    up the machine.  No problems with Ubuntu 5.10.

 3) An old PCMCIA combo Ethernet/Modem card locked up Mandrake
    10.1 when ejected.  No problems with Ubuntu.

 4) Under Mandrake, hitting ctrl-alt-backspace in X11 usually
    horked the Mach64 video card and required a reboot.  No
    problem in Ubuntu.

I still need to check out the suspend and power-management
features, but so far I'd say good work on the
hardware-compatibility side of things.

Now, about the choice of brown-on-black as the color scheme for
the startup messages -- doesn't anybody else have a hard time
reading that?  It doesn't really matter; I shut off the splash
and framebuffer stuff. :)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. or were you
                                  at               driving the PONTIAC that