Lightweight terminal emulator?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Sep 15 03:05:38 UTC 2005

On 2005-09-15, Michael R Head <burner at suppressingfire.org> wrote:

>> I've been using aterm (1/10 the size of gnome-terminal) for
>> many years, but it doesn't have UTF-8 support, so the move to
>> supporting only UTF8 locales broke aterm.
>
> xfce has it's own terminal program that's similar to
> gnome-terminal but seems to be a bit peppier.

Yup.  I've been experimenting with xfce4-terminal. It's not
nearly as bloated as gnome-terminal, though it's still 4-6
times larger than aterm.  The proble with xfce4-terminal that
is as yet unsolved is that I can't convince it to use a decent
terminal font. By decent, I mean something like the X11 "misc"
7x14 bitmapped font.  The scalable rendered fonts are all too
ugly to look at for 10 hours a day.

But, ubuntu doesn't appear to have any of the "misc" bitmapped
fonts in UTF encoding.  They're all there, but they're all
ISO-8859-1 encoding, but the whole distro is UTF8-only.

I'm not sure the "UTF8-only" thing is really ready for
prime-time.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. I don't understand
                                  at               the HUMOR of the THREE