IP DNS xDSL Services

Conall O'Brien conall+ubuntu at conall.net
Thu Sep 15 02:57:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 03:45:47AM IST, UnIData
<unidata.linux at gmail.com> incoherently babbled:

Hello,

> When i register an domain i setup two IP for DNS (primary and secondary)
>
> I have a xDSL connection with a public IP, i define first DNS (primary
> 111.222.333.444), how i define a second DNS (secondary - IP
> ???.???.???.???).
>
> With this public IP i can install services web, e-mail, ftp, etc in a
> computer, what is the best ?

It's quite obvious you're new to DNS and domain names.

In order to setup the services you mention, you need a minimum of 2
(ideally different) dns servers which the rest of the internet query to
see the Ip no of the computer you store your email on, etc

I would reccommend you read the DNS HOWTO [1], if you are interested in
learning about such things.

However, I suspect you just want to setup a domain, in which case you
should see if the registrat you are thinking of using will do the DNS
for you for free (some of them do). Otherwise, there are some cheap DNS
providers [2] out there as well *.

[1] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

[2] eg http://www.easydns.com/

* I've never used any of them, so YMMV...

--

Conall O'Brien

http://www.conall.net

GPG Key: http://www.conall.net/gpg/

When all else fails, MANIPULATE the data!