Kernel 2.6.10 and later issues with USB

R Kimber rkimber at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 13 11:50:35 UTC 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:10:49 -0400
Matt Patterson <matt at v8zman.com> wrote:

> I have used both the ali and via based cheapo cards, and they are
> both reasonable, NOT reliable enough though if you have a usb
> keyboard and mouse. They also have the issue that they tend to
> underpower devices so things like ipods that want to charge off of
> the ports complain. Things work well through unpowered hubs though. I
> am pretty sure any usb card you buy will work just fine because they
> appear to be very well supported, but I would probably opt for a
> better card like an adaptec.

Thanks for your very helpful comments.  I've seen the Belkin get
reasonably good reviews, but I'll have a look round for the adaptec. I
think I'll avoid VIA-based cards because that's the existing chipset on
my MB.

I'm not using keyboard or mouse, only Epson scanner, Iomega Zip (the
most important), and Canon camera.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber