GTK pod cannot sync with ipod

Jim Richardson warlock at eskimo.com
Mon Sep 12 18:16:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 20:33 +0800, Charles Yao wrote:
> My ipod wont sync with gtkpod.
>
> This appears when i try to sync:
>
> iPod directory structure must be present before synching to the iPod
> can be performed.
>
> This appears when i try to read the ipod:
>
> '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB' does not exist. Import
> aborted.
>
> Any ideas what i can do about this?

Couple of questions.

What model iPod is it.

Are you connecting via USB, or Firewire?

Is this a new iPod? (i.e.. have you synced it before?)
If you have synced it before, have you synced it with linux/gtkpod or is
this the first time for that?

Do you know if the filesystem is vfat, or hfs+ :) You should be able to
find out by going to Settings->About on the iPod, and there will be an
entry that says format, if the format entry says windows, it's vfat.

Answering these questions will help to figure out the problem. You can
also go and look at the dmesg output when you plug in the iPod cable.
(type dmesg from a command line)

Generally, if all is well, and you have an entry in your fstab for it.
Popping in the iPod should load the modules needed, and mount the iPod
in the directory you have listed in fstab. If you haven't added an entry
to fstab (like this is the first time) then you might need to manually
mount it. (although HAL should take care of it IIRC)

assuming you want to put it in /media/ipod

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/ipod should work. It will try and guess what
filesystem is on the iPod, if it doesn't, you can try telling it what to
use.

sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /media/ipod  for vfat, and hfsplus for the
Mac versions. However, when my iPod was in HFS+ format, I had to
manually load the hfsplus module.

sudo modprobe hfsplus

I later switched to vfat for the iPod due to several problems.

Now, once all is well, and you have synced and added songs, etc. You
need to remove the iPod. You need to unmount the iPod, in the usual way.
Then remove the uhci_hcd module if using usb, I forget the firewire
module that needs to be removed. sbp2?

Also, google around for linux ipod and either usb or firewire, and see
if others are having a similar problem.

This isn't hell. This is where you get sent when you've been bad in
hell.