GTK pod cannot sync with ipod

Serg Belokamen serg.belokamen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 14:48:09 UTC 2005

Hi,

Ye its quiet common...

This is how I fixed the issue:

Assumption:
iPod mounting point is /media/mp3player
That is, when you mount your iPod, this is the directory it will be
mounted in.

In that directory, before you mount your iPod create the following
sub-directories:

Calendars
Contacts
iPod_Control
iPod_Control/iTunes
iPod_Control/Music

So something like:

cd /media/mp3player
mkdir iPod_Control
mkdir iPod_Control/iTunes

Do this as a root user and then change user and group permissions to
your self.

E.g.
chown YOU_USER_NAME:YOU_USER_NAME /media/mp3player -R

This is a simple way, you can always adjust groups and users to have
multiple people being able to use the mount point, but lets get this
going first :)

Note, GtkPod has an option to mount and unmount your iPod. It s buggy as
hell. What I do is configure GtkPod to mount and unmount the player.
Then connect the player, mount it manually and start the software. All
seems to work great. When you exit the software it will unmount it but
you can use mount command to double check.

Any way, now you are ready to mount your iPod and start GtkPod. If you
get a message that database is not synchronised, just ignore it. It will
be fixed when you sync. your first file.

Also, and this is important. When GtkPod is unmounting the player, it
may take some time (maybe upto a minute or two) and it may appear as
though the software has frozen. Just know that it is doing its job and
did not freez. Do NOT disconnect your player. Just wait for a bit and it
will exit.

Hope it helps.

If you have any more questions, you are welcome to CC me a copy directly
and I will try to answer.

   Cheers,
     Serg