Four Ubuntu Installations -- ALL FAIL

Matthias Heiler heiler at gmx.de
Sun Sep 11 22:15:34 UTC 2005

arjaybe <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> writes:

> It's not a slap in the face.  The OP was obviously exasperated and
> asking, "Why can't it be like Windows?"  He doesn't want to learn how
> to use Ubuntu.  He wants it to be like Windows.  The only thing that's
> like Windows is Windows, so I suggested that he should continue to use
> it.

I guess he wants it to be easy to install and to work reliably out of
the box.  It's not an unreasonable or stupid wish.

Concerning "learn to use ubuntu": I use Linux since kernel 2.0.32 and
in my experience, there is not much to "learn" about installing
distros or hardware: If something doesn't work out of the box, it's
trial and error and using google and newsgroups properly.

It's probably the same mess with Windows, but there the hardware
vendor works it out once for all customers and puts the results on a
easy-to-use installation CD.  This won't happen for Linux very soon as
it is a fast moving and quite diverse platform that would be expensive
for vendors to support.  (Also, parts of the community are not
friendly toward vendors who don't give away their source code.)

  Matthias