ASCII extended characters won't be written/coded properly :o(((

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sat Sep 10 12:56:54 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 13:35 +0100, Lee Braiden wrote:

So you are saying it's normal ?

I don't think it is sadly ! :-/
I have never had this problem in the past. When I used a text editor to
write my code in either MS-DOS, or Windows 3.1, or Win 98, the bloody
strings would appear on "hyperterminal", or the alphanumeric LCD display
of the embedded device, or anything, like expected, like written in the
text file of the source code, like they are coded in any ASCII (yes,
"extended" ASCII, or course) table found in any computer book. The one I
have at hand is an old MS-DOS 6.2 user manual that has a couple extended
ASCII table (code page 437 and 850), and that would work perfectly
anywhere anytime. It's only now that I have switched Linux, that this
nasty problem appeared ! :-/

--
Vince