proxy : p r i v o x y

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Thu Sep 8 18:41:57 UTC 2005

On Thursday 08 September 2005 19:12, R.L. Reingard wrote:
> hm, Lee, that was a good idea with 'privoxy'. eventhough, i always get
> restless, when i am not able to use a GUI, this time i found somewhere on
> the website of privoxy.org the right command to run (/etc/init.d/privoxy
> start). and guess what, it runs smoothly, and i am surprised, haha. okay,
> i read, privoxy is not able to use the FTP protocol.
> do you use privoxy yourself?

Yes.  It's good for filtering out information from your browser that websites
don't need to know, and also to filter junk from websites like cookies, etc.
I have it set up to use tor as an upstream proxy, so that privoxy removes
information about who I am from the browser info, and then tor hides which
computer sent the request.  It's not perfect privacy, but the EFF recommends
it as a reasonable compromise.  Some browsers let you switch the browser's
proxy on and off quickly from a menu, so it becomes quite useful like that.

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com