Internet connection using Smart link 56k voice modem and Ubuntu 5.04 AMD64

Sebastian M=?ISO-8859-1?B?/A==?=sch sebastian at sebastian-muesch.de
Thu Sep 8 14:43:19 UTC 2005

Hi,

Once upon a time didier mariño wrote:

> I have an AMD64 processor working with Microsoft
> because I can not use my modem to access internet
> using GNU/linux.

Indeed it's a shame, but I think it will be easy to get a modem for not more
than five bucks that's fully functional with linux (on every platform). If
you need a hint for what device to buy, just tell what you need ...

> don´t want to give support to their user when the
> try another system like GNU/Linux.

Keep in mind, that most "hardware-companies" are not able to support another
os than windows, as they have not the needed skills of creating a
device-driver for any os. For example Acer, most of their drivers are
programmed by the manufactors of the chipset they use within their devices,
acer is just doing the customer-support and the ad-work.

> ¿Where  Nautilus is on the menu?.

In the top-menu there should be a menu "Locations" (?), choose "Computer"
(?) and a window should pop up showing you all drive-devices ... Right-Click
on your floppy-drive and choose "Mount device" (?) while a disk is inserted
in the drive. Before ejecting the disk, do nearly the same ... The option
within the Context-Menu (Right-Click-Menu) should now be "Unmount the
device" and wait until the floppy-drive finished writing.

Cu
Sebastian

--
        .:'