Kernel 2.6.10 and later issues with USB

Matt Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Wed Sep 7 21:07:21 UTC 2005

Magnus Therning wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 01:25:00PM -0500, thephotoman wrote:
>

>>Magnus Therning wrote:

>>>I've had problems with USB storage devices not showing up. The problem
>>>was that two host controllers where loaded. If 'lsmod|grep hcd' shows
>>>both uhci_hcd and ehci_hcd then try sticking one of them in a file in
>>>/etc/hotplug/blacklist.d/ (I chose to blacklist ehci_hcd). Hope it
>>>helps.
>>>/M
>>>

>>Having some trouble blacklisting the services.  Could I get a pointer
>>on that?
>>

>I created the file /etc/hotplug/blacklist.d/local with the following
>content:
>
>  # uhci_hcd is the host of choice
>  ehci_hcd
>
>I don't think a restart of hotplug will do the trick, you'll have to
>reboot.
>
>If you feel a little adventurous you can always use rmmod to remove the
>module from a running kernel. I've heard that might cause problems even
>though I've never had any, YMMV.
>
>/M

I just thought I should point out that uhci_hcd and ehci_hcd do not have
the same purpose. uhci_hcd is for usb 1.1 devices (low and full speed).
ehci_hcd is for usb 2.0 devices (hi speed devices). I will admit that
the ehci_hcd has a LOT of bugs in it and its compatibility is less than
stellar, so going back to the uhci_hcd will make things work better,
just slower!!

Matt