Kernel 2.6.10 and later issues with USB

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Sep 7 19:30:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 01:25:00PM -0500, thephotoman wrote:
>Magnus Therning wrote:
>>>Yeah.  I do.
>>I've had problems with USB storage devices not showing up. The problem
>>was that two host controllers where loaded. If 'lsmod|grep hcd' shows
>>both uhci_hcd and ehci_hcd then try sticking one of them in a file in
>>/etc/hotplug/blacklist.d/ (I chose to blacklist ehci_hcd). Hope it
>>helps.
>>/M
>Having some trouble blacklisting the services.  Could I get a pointer
>on that?

I created the file /etc/hotplug/blacklist.d/local with the following
content:

  # uhci_hcd is the host of choice
  ehci_hcd

I don't think a restart of hotplug will do the trick, you'll have to
reboot.

If you feel a little adventurous you can always use rmmod to remove the
module from a running kernel. I've heard that might cause problems even
though I've never had any, YMMV.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
     -- Hector Louis Berlioz