Breezy Colony 4, Laptop screen is dim

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Wed Sep 7 18:34:23 UTC 2005

Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu) wrote:
> Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>
>> It seems somewhere the brightness settings for the screen have swapped.
>>
>> It is dim when plugged in and bright when unplugged.
>> How do I fix this?
>>

> I think this is done by the Laptop itself. I have a setting in the BIOS
> of my IBM T42 where I can select normal or high. Normal means it will
> dimm the display if I run on battery to save energy and high means it
> will not dimm even if I run on battery. Maybe your Laptop has some more
> options like dimm on AC power and not dimm on battery power?
>
> Hope this helps, Thomas

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for the reply.
I restarted my laptop and entered the BIOS.
It is very spartan, very few settings available.
None controlling the screen.

Once I logged in I started playing with some of the fn function keys on
my laptop. This is my first laptop so I am clueless about these fn
function keys.

When I got to the fn f7 and fn f8 keys it started dimming and
brightening my screen. Yeah!

Also I learned that it retains each setting dependent on whether or not
the laptop is plugged in or on battery. Cool!

So that solves this problem.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Jimmie